There is one lure that every beginning bass fisherman should become familiar with: the plastic worm. The plastic worm is a very forgiving lure, one that is very hard to “mess up” or use incorrectly. As long as you’re casting it out and bringing it back along the bottom, you’re doing it right.
That said, not all worms are created equal. The plastic worm is my fallback or confidence lure. I may try something else when I start out but 9 times out of time I end up with a plastic worm on my baitcaster when I leave the lake. Because I use worms so often, I’ve bought and tried several different types of worms. My preference is the Berkley 7″ Powerworm. The reason is simple: It catches fish. Even when nothing else will.
Seven inches may seem really long and you may question if fish will be scared off by the worm or if smaller fish will even be able to get the whole worm in their mouth. Let me assure you, the seven inch model of Powerworm is the perfect size. The tail is curved and twisted to “swim” and create action when you move it through the water. Most of the body of the worm is ribbed. I believe this creates vibration when the worm is pulled/jerked through the water.
I’ve only really use the Powerworm in two colors: Blue Fleck and Tequila Sunrise. The bass around my area absolutely love the Blue Fleck, especially in the spring. I don’t know why but when I first started bass fishing this year I didn’t have much more than a pack of Blue Fleck Powerworms, hooks and bullet sinkers. The first couple times out I would honestly be getting hits on almost every cast dragged past a bed of weeds.
As far as durability, I’ve had a day where I caught seven fish on one worm! Five bass and two huge sunfish. (Told you its not too big) All on the one worm. I haven’t caught enough fish in one session with any other worm to compare but I’ve heard horror stories of some soft plastics breaking down after two or three decent fish.
Powerworms are part of a line called Powerbait which all share the Powerbait scent. You’ll know when you open a bag of Powerbait. I don’t know if the scent is the secret to it’s success or if it is the action or what. I just know that they work. I can honestly say that I don’t think there has been a time that I’ve fished a Powerworm and not had at least one knock or nibble on my line.
And before you think I’m just kissing Berkley’s big-name butt or that they gave me the worms for free to talk up, let me add that I paid for every single pack of Powerworms I’ve used. Just like I’ve paid for the several other brands that I’ve tried. I may have originally bought them because I saw them on Hank Parker, but I continue to buy them because they catch me fish. I highly recommend them to anyone either just starting out, wanting to change up their tactics, or get someone new into the sport. They run about $4 for a pack of 10 and you can get them just about anywhere tackle is sold.
As far as fishing plastic worms, a majority of the time my worm is texas-rigged. (For anyone who doesn’t know how to texas-rig a worm, here you go. If any of my blogger buddies have a post on it that explains it in a different way, feel free to link it in a comment, might help people put it in a different light.) I’d say 95% of the bass I’ve caught on Powerworms have been texas-rigged with a loose weight. The loose weight makes the worm sink fast enough to showcase it’s action, but lets it go at it’s own speed so it doesn’t zoom past the fish. The other 5% (one, maybe two fish) has been texas-rigged without a weight.
Once you have it all rigged up, toss it out near some cover (weeds/fallen trees/lily pads) and let it sink. Try to keep the line taut but don’t move the bait for at least 20-30 seconds. This is when I get most of my hits, after the initial fall. After waiting a bit, start to bring in the worm by slightly jerking your rod, just a couple inches. Reel up the slack, wait about 20 secs, repeat. Eventually you’ll feel a tick on your line and usually the line will start moving. Drop your rod tip a bit, reel up the slack and yank straight up to set the hook. You’ve got yourself a fish. 🙂
To sum it up, let me reiterate: Powerworms catch fish. They are one of the easiest lures out there if you’re a beginner or just introducing someone to the sport. They are well worth the $4 you’ll spend on them.
Hope that helps a few beginners out. If you guys have any questions on the Powerworm, feel free to ask. I may not know the answer but I’ll do my best to find it out for you.
Disclaimer: I am not associated with Berkley in any way and received nothing in way of compensation or equipment for this review. I spent my own hard earned cash on these Powerworms and will continue to do so as long as they catch me fish.